Anyone who has dealt with deer on their property knows how frustrating it can be. They forage in gardens and flowerbeds, rub their antlers against trees, bed on your lawn and cause other damage to carefully tended property in their search for food. Worse yet, deer can plague a yard at any time of year, making deterrent efforts seem like a never-ending battle. That’s why Havahart®, a leader in humane animal control solutions, recommends using Deer Off® Liquid Spray Repellents and Weatherproof Deer Repellent Stations to keep deer away.
“Deer rely heavily on their sense of smell to locate food and sense danger. To effectively protect your yard and gardens, you need to devise a repellent strategy that affects those senses,” says Carlos Medina, Assistant Marketing Manager for Havahart®. “By applying repellents featuring ingredients such as dried blood, capsaicin or putrescent egg, you can interfere with a deer’s scent and taste.”
Deer Off® Repellents use scent-based active ingredients to elicit a neurological response from deer that sends them running. Liquid spray repellents also repel by taste – by making their favorite foods taste bad, deer are discouraged from eating.
Deer Off® Ready-to-Use Sprays and Concentrated Repellents are ideal for preventing and discouraging nuisance deer from browsing particular plants on your property. Some benefits of these products are:
- The highly-concentrated formula containing putrescent eggs imitates the scent of decaying animals and warns deer of nearby predator activity, making them flee.
- A second ingredient layer of garlic and hot peppers creates burning flavors to make plants inedible to nuisance deer.
- When the unique, dual-action formula dries, it is odorless to humans.
- Weather-resistant protection lasts up to 3 months to provide season-long control.
- OMRI Listed® for use in eco-friendly and organic gardening.
Keep in mind, it is not recommended to apply liquid repellents directly to edible plants. Instead, spray them on surrounding, non-edible plants until runoff occurs.
Deer Off® Waterproof Deer Repellent Stations offer many of the same great benefits of spray repellents, all in a weatherproof casing. Some of these benefits include:
- Contains 100% dried blood that is easily detectable by deer, triggering their flight mechanism.
- All-natural deer deterrent is odorless to humans.
- The rugged housing keeps water out while allowing air to pass through to spread the repellent scent.
- Weatherproof design provides protection from deer all season long.
- Thin metal stakes and discreet color blend in naturally with your yard.
- The encased active ingredient is safe for use near edible plants.
When applying repellent stations, be sure to properly space them (about 4-6 ft. apart) for full perimeter protection. Placing them too far apart may create areas of vulnerability.
“Reducing other attractants in your yard is key to ensuring that your Deer Off® repellent strategy is effective. If you protect some areas, but not others, deer may still view your property as a food source,” says Medina. “Also remove remnants of fruits and vegetables after they’ve been harvested and keep your lawn trimmed. For continued effectiveness, be sure to reapply liquid repellents periodically – especially after a heavy rainfall.”
Whether you need to protect your crops or just your lawn, Havahart® has the solutions you need to deter deer humanely and effectively.
Order Now Using Program Number: W75E1